Friday, December 19, 2014

Climb


























I'm on a roll with mixing up my fitness routine right now, and I have never felt better. Indoor rock climbing is the newest activity I have incorporated into mix. So much fun! I gave it a go for the first time around Thanksgiving with Sarah Ambrose at First Avenue Rocks. She is a rockstar instructor! She gave me a great overview of indoor climbing and worked with me on technique and strategy.

Bouldering is the technical term for what I'm doing in these photos: climbing shorter walls without a harness. I quickly discovered that taking a moment to map out your route is important, especially as a first timer. When you hop on the wall without a plan, you may fatigue your muscles trying to decide which hold to grab next, and not get very far up the wall. Each hold on the wall is marked with a colored piece of tape, designating various paths up the wall, with varying degrees of difficulty. The goal is to choose a color and follow those holds up the wall. The flat walls are the easiest. The angled walls are tougher - excellent for your core. It is such an exciting feeling to make it to the top of the wall for the first time. Felt like a kid! 

What I like about climbing is that it's fun and challenging, and you don't actually realize you're working out. If you're bored at the gym, I recommend giving this a try. I've kept up climbing for about a month now, and I can tell a noticeable difference in my arms and abs - definitely more toned. You will definitely be sore after climbing for the first time because you're working muscles that you don't normally use. Also, a tip for fashionistas - shorter nails are ideal for climbing. Mine were too long in these photos. Breaking a nail is not what you want to be thinking about.

My talented photographer friend Andrea Mabry, who happens to be an experienced climber, took these gorgeous photos. She climbed up the wall with her camera and captured some amazing angles! I love the drama in these images. She has been working in New Orleans and is moving her home base to Birmingham this winter. Yay! We're planning to do some outdoor climbing when she gets here. Check out her new website here.

In case you're wondering, my sick leggings are by Alo Yoga. LOVE this line of active wear. 
x, M
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. ja się nigdy nie wspinałam


    ______________________________
    najbardziej pożądany trencz
    WWW.JUSTYNAPOLSKA.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...