Wednesday, May 14, 2014

How To Create A Colorful Liquid Eyeliner Look Using Shadow






After giving you a lot of Fashion Week coverage on the blog over the last several weeks, we thought it would be fun to do a few new beauty posts (and also show you some of our fun new jewelry pieces -- both necklaces in this entry are from Shals :). This week, Lindsey and I had the treat of being able to work with a fun Birmingham-based photographer, Kate Tully of Tully House Photo, who shot these lovely photos in her studio. Had a blast working with her! In this post, I'll explain how to create a colorful winged cat-eye using eyeshadow and how to amp it up into smokier look in minutes. 
...

I love the crisp, precise look of liquid eyeliner, which is why I wear it daily. It stays in place all day, and I never have to worry about it smudging or wearing off.  I've found that liquid liner also makes a great anchor when a colorful pop of eyeshadow is applied directly on top...


The effect is sharp and clean and gives the illusion of having used a turquoise liquid eyeliner. 

Here's what I did: 

1) Prime the lids with an eyeshadow primer to prevent creasing and then sweep on a neutral eyeshadow across the entire lid. 
2) Use a dark, pigmented eyeliner pencil to draw a line around the eyes, as close to the lash line as possible. 
3) Next, draw a coat of dark liquid eyeliner right on top of the pencil (top lid only). I used my everyday go-to - L'Oreal Precision Point Liquid Eyeliner in black. 
4) Dampen the tip of a slanted angle eyeliner brush (I love Estee Lauder's) and dip it on top of a pressed powder eyeshadow in a fun, bright shade. Glide it directly on top of your black liquid liner. You'll have to dip several times - you won't cover the black in one clean sweep. Then, apply the shadow on top of the dark pencil liner along your lower lashline. Here, I opted for a bright turquoise by Lancome - their eyeshadows are nice and pigmented. 

I finished the look by lining the inner lash line with a pencil in black and topped my lashes with a light coat of mascara.



To take this blue eyeliner look to a more dramatic level, all I did was apply a shimmery charcoal shade of eyeshadow to my lids, using my finger. I did this in about a minute using Estee Lauder's Pure Color formula in Black Crystals. An easy update!



Shots of Lindsey's makeup (also by Kate Tully) are coming soon! See Kate's Tully House Facebook page here for more of her great work! The necklaces here, as I mentioned are both from Shals. The top one is the Sha style, and the bottom one is the Tal. Happy Wednesday!
x, M

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. How do you look so beautiful?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So gorgeous! Absolutely love this photography. :)
    Thanks for the tutorial and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positively flawless....love it!!!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...