Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Getting Creative With Your Makeup: Multipurpose Cream Shadows




  Sometimes it can pay to think outside the box when it comes to your makeup. Doing so might just elevate a product you initially deemed so-so to one that you absolutely love. Case in point: Estee Lauder's Pure Color Stay-On Shadow Paints, which are cream eyeshadows. 

For me, it scores average when dabbed over the lids as an all-over eyeshadow (powder formulas have traditionally been my preference). But I love using it as an eyeliner. Love! The little cream shadows have a consistency that glides along the lash line very nicely when applied with an angled eyeliner brush. The formula is lightweight and highly pigmented, so you achieve full color with just one stroke. I like bright pops of color on the eyes, so I chose the Extreme Emerald shade. To get this look, I started with a neutral eyeshadow powder as an all-over base on the lids, and then I followed with some black pencil eyeliner along the top lash line. Next, I applied liquid eyeliner directly on top of the pencil liner (brown or black is fine), winging it out a bit at the edges. Finally, I dipped my slanted eyeliner brush into the green Shadow Paint and applied it right on top of the liquid liner. Three layers (and formulas) of eyeliner might sound excessive, but it really does make applying the Shadow Paint easier because it gives you a path to follow, and it also helps keep it in place since it gives it something to grip.

We thought you also might like to see what the Shadow Paint looks like when applied across the lid as an eyeshadow, so we blended Chained, a shimmery bronze, and Extreme Emerald, the same electric green pictured on me, onto Lindsey's.

We used our fingertips to apply the product to the lids. A concealer brush would also work if you prefer to use a tool. To achieve this subtle two-toned look, start with an all-over base of Chained. Next, blend in a teeny bit of Extreme Emerald on the outer portion of the lids. Although the green looks pretty bright in the container, if it is applied with a light touch in small doses, you can achieve the soft and pretty effect seen here. The formula doesn't build very well, so you have to work somewhat quickly if you're going to blend two or more shades together. Once dry, both pencil and liquid liner were applied to the upper lash line and then topped off with a coat of the Chained Shadow Paint as eyeliner.

Click here to see Instagram snaps of us wearing the Bold Cobalt and Neon Fuschia shades of the shadow paint as eyeliner. Let us know which look y'all like the most!




Happy Wednesday!

Pin It

18 comments:

  1. The shades are pretty cool. I love the green :)
    Regards
    Patchoulii-Flog

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pleasure connecting, now i follow you via GFC and Bloglovin, waiting for you connect :)
    Regards
    Patchoulii-Flog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary and Lindsey, I am having a huge issue with my eyeliner, HELP! I like to generally keep it simple and use a black liner and do a winged out look, but EVERY liner I use ends up on the top of my lids. I have used expensive, drugstore, gel, pencil, and liquid. Nothing seems to stay in place. I even use an eye primer by smashbox and it still ends up on my lids! Any recommendations? Thanks!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sara! I think I know what the problem might be. Are you wearing a good eyeshadow? I've found that if I skip eyeshadow and just wear eyeliner, I have the same issue with smudging. Try starting with a great primer like, Stila's Prime Pot (love!). Next, use a good, pigmented eyeshadow. I recommend TwoFaced, Lancome, Chanel, or Estee Lauder. Type "eyeshadow" into the search field of the right hand side of our blog, and you will see some of our favorites that we've blogged about!

      As for eyeliner, check out these posts for my eyeliner "layering" trick, which helps keep your liner in place:
      http://laylonbeauty.blogspot.com/2012/03/cat-eyes-part-two.html

      High vs. low liquid liner options:
      http://laylonbeauty.blogspot.com/2012/03/high-vs-low-liquid-eyeliner.html

      Hopefully this helps! : ) Thank you so much for following! xx

      Delete
  4. That's a good idea. I've never even thought of trying cream shadow all I have is some homemade natural stuff right now. but this looks cool. Does it blend like a paint or like... uh, makeup? I like to paint with watercolor so this is why it intrigued me. I'm quite makeup illiterate and don't do much with it and don't know too many techniques. But I really like the idea of using it as an eyeliner. Looking a bit 1960s there. Great job, gals I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Abigail! Thank you! : ) It blends like makeup and glides on and delivers full, pigmented color with a really light touch. You could always stop by an Estee Lauder counter and ask to try it out if you're interested in seeing what the texture is like. If you're ordering one, you could always play it safe and order the Black shade.

      Thanks for following us! xx

      Delete
  5. I also use my fingers to apply eye makeup
    I find that you get the best results that way.
    Very beautiful color combination.


    Love from Montreal!
    ❤anamascara.blogspot.ca❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog
    followed
    http://minimaysi.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi dear!!:) I've just discovered your blog and it is amazing!!
    Have a really nice weekend!!
    Come to see mine, and my new post "Get lucky"
    http://peaceinmyshoes.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! I really think your blog is awesome, so I nominated you for a Liebster Award!
    Check the nomination out here: http://forvanityssake.wordpress.com/2014/01/24/4th-and-5th-liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are so glad you like our site!! : ) xoxo

      Delete
  9. the emerald creme shadow is so pretty! i really love how you applied it as an eyeliner.

    xo,
    gabby
    www.likealittlefox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the paint eyeshadow but is it oily-ish? Oh and the mix of the chained and the teeny tiny emerald is awesome. Very nice.

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnx, Busola! I don't think it's very oily-ish because the product tends to grip pretty nicely. It's not slippery and does a good job of staying in place. The only thing is that it dries quickly, so you have to blend it on fairly quickly!

      xx

      Delete
  11. so pretty and excellently blended

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elle! This really is a fun product to play with : )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...