Monday, February 4, 2013

A Softer Smoky Eye

Mary's eyes: Lancome Sensational Effects Shadow in Gaze, Fashion Label  / Sweater: Theory
I've always been a big fan of statement eye makeup, and I have been recently experimenting with rich shades of brown. In these photos, I blended two gorgeous shades of shadow to create a dramatic yet soft smoky eye. This look is actually not that difficult to achieve. I used Lancome Color Design Sensational Effects Eye Shadow in Gaze and Fashion Label, each $19. First, I started with a sheer wash of the champagne colored Gaze across my entire lids. Next, I used a contour shadow brush to blend in the deep espresso shade along the outer perimeter of the crease. I extended this color into a wing shape outside the edge of my eyelids for a more dramatic effect. The key to working with a shade of brown this dark is blending. Start out with a little bit of dark shadow and slowly add more, intensifying the hue as desired. Finally, go back and add a bit more of the lighter shade with your finger tip onto the inner center of your lids. If you want a 'liner' effect along the bottom lash line (like mine here), use a slanted angle eyeliner brush to apply the shadow right below your bottom lashes, as close to the lash line as possible. I like to dampen the brush tip and then wipe it off with a tissue before dipping it into the shadow. Obviously, when you go big on the eyes, keep the rest of your makeup minimal.


Happy Monday!
xo, Mary
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Your make-up and hair are beyond perfect!! You are gorgeous girl!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...