Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Phillip Lim Inspired DIY Nail Art

Mary's Shirt: Elizabeth & James / Jeans: Zara / Black Nail Polish: Essie Nail Lacquer in Licorice

The adorably painted nails sported on the models at Phillip Lim's show at NYFW 2012 inspired me to give this look a go on my own nails. Click here to see the nails backstage. According to W Magazine, the three-toned colorblock design was inspired by Japanese comic superheroes. The black base is reportedly Essie's Nail Polish in Licorice ($8), which is our favorite black nail shade ever. I started with the same shade on my own nails. While skinny layers of Essie's Blanc and Chinchilly polish were used to finish the models' nails, I opted for similar shades that were already in my makeup bag, pictured below. I started by using Sally Hansen's White Nail Art Pen to draw a thin line on the outer edge of each nail. After letting it dry, I followed with a skinny swipe right next to it of OPI's Nail Lacquer in Birthday Babe, which is a shimmery silver. I used a tiny artist paint brush that I picked up at a craft store to draw the lines. Obviously my paint job is slightly imperfect, but I noticed in photos of the models' hands backstage that imperfect is apparently acceptable for this particular look. Try something a bit unexpected with your nails! And by all means, keep your nails short if you're going to play with design. 

Top Ring: John Hardy Classic Chain Collection


xo, Mary
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Love how your toes are yellow and black on your fingernails! Amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love bold color on my nails!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...