Saturday, April 21, 2012

Fear Not Hair Oil

Mary's Lips: Lancome Color Fever Lipstick in Red and Sensual Java / In Hair: Kevin Murphy YOUNG.AGAIN Hair Oil / Top: Patterson J. Kincaid
'Oil' is a word that can have a very negative connotation when it comes to beauty, so before you read any further, let go of any such associations you may already have. It's a bad thing in the wrong places - your scalp or your complexion. Used in the right places, it can make a big difference in your overall appearance. Hair oil is something Lindsey and I use daily as part of our beauty routines. As our colorists told us at Bumble and Bumble's uptown salon when our strands were first painted ombré, a good hair oil can be especially nourishing for our color-processed hair. Kevin Murphy YOUNG.AGAIN Hair Oil ($40), is one of the best oils I've ever used on my hair. It is very lightweight and manages to tame my dry, damaged ends into smooth submission. In the photo above, I had just rubbed a few drops onto the ends of my hair, and as you can see, it doesn't look greasy at all. It helps condition and hide my scraggly split ends. Because it protects against heat styling, I always rub a teeny dab of the oil over each lock of dry hair before running my flat iron or curling iron over it. It is a treatment oil, so it's full of antioxidants that prevent damage and breakage... which is crucial since I'm trying to avoid trims! Recently, I revealed to you here how infrequently I get my hair trimmed since I am trying to grow it out. In addition to rubbing a tad into the ends of my dry hair once or twice a day, I also comb in a bit of it on wet hair before blow drying.

Even if your hair tends to be oily, you can still rub a pea size amount in your fingers and put it on the ends of your hair - it shouldn't make your hair look greasy. The goal is to add a little extra polish to your overall look. Just don't put it anywhere near your scalp. If you have super fine, naturally pin straight hair, you are an exception and should avoid hair oil.
Image courtesy KevinMurphy.com

If you want to try more wallet friendly hair oils, I also suggest John Frieda Frizz-Ease Thermal Protective Hair Serum and Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Serum (both under $10). I prefer the John Frieda one because it's lighter-weight and protects against heat styling. I've found that the Garnier oil is better for putting in wet hair than dry hair since it's a bit heavier formula. Just remember to start with a pea-sized amount. You can always add more if you need it.
  xo, Mary and Lindsey
Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...