Thursday, March 29, 2012

Growing Pains: The Truth About Trims

Sweater dress and leather belt: Elizabeth and James
 I finally had to get the ends of my hair trimmed... Something I always loathe when I'm trying to grow it out long. Last month, while getting my hair painted ombré at Bumble and Bumble's upper east side salon in NYC, Stephanie, who was doing my hair, finally cleared the air on what I always suspected to be true about trims... Not trimming your hair is the best way to grow it out really long. This goes against everything so many of us have heard from our hairstylists time and time again... That we need a good trim every six weeks. Trims don't make hair grow longer, but they can make your hair look healthier since they get rid of unsightly split ends and damage. That being said, I don't mean that you need to forget about trims all together if you're trying to grow out your hair. You may just not need them as often as you thought. However, to stretch out your time inbetween trims, you need to start making a conscious effort to prevent hair damage. You really can't be careless about this if you want good results.

Start by doing a damage assessment. Just how damaged are your ends right now? Are you abusing your hair with hair straighteners and curling irons every day? Do you obsessively brush your hair? Do you wash and blow dry it daily?... All of these factors cause damage, which forces you to have to get trims more often. If you're trying to grow out your hair, you need to avoid damaging it as much as possible. I only use heat styling tools 2-3 times per week. I wash my hair once a week, and I try not to brush it too much. I try to be gentle with it.

You may already be at the point of needing a little trim now. If so, ask your stylist to take off half an inch. (In my experience, they always take off more than asked for.) The photo above was taken immediately after I left West Salon and Spa in Toronto, where I got my trim. I was very impressed with their salon. Instead of just blowing my hair out straight,  they took the time to create waves throughout, which saved me from having to do it at home.  Keep checking very back soon for more posts on how to speed up the growth process and what to do about thinning hair (as well as what products will help!).  My personal goal is thick, gorgeous long hair!
xo, Mary
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. How was your experinece at Bumble and Bumble? Ive been debating going there for hair cut and high light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an amazing experience! Lindsey and I both got our ombré hair color done there. They do a fantastic job -- worth every penny. Definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never dyed my hair so i've been trying to find someone whose gotten their hair ombre'd and yours is perfect! i live in nyc so i will most definitely be going to the bumble and bumble salon thanks to you! can i ask how much it cost you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, Zoe from Bumble and Bumble did Lindsey's hair. Hope this is helpful!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your comment! I believe the girl who did my ombré was Stephanie. I'll find out for you who did Lindsey's color there. I think you could trust just about anyone at Bumble and Bumble to do a great job though:). If I remember correctly it cost about 250. Kinda pricey I know but I think worth it if ombré is what you're going for. You don't want to go to someone who doesn't have experience doing it. It's the most fun hair color I've ever had... Go for it! And send me a pic if you do indeed get it!!
      Xo, Mary

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! We'd love for you to follow us! :)

      Delete
  6. ohhh my dream hair! i'd love to create those waves/curls someday. i'm not too good at handling hair stylers. do you know what curler they used to achieve this hair? Thanks

    i found out about your blog yesterday and now, i'm hooked! Been trying to finish reading all your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Glad you like the blog! We are actually going to do a post on how to create pretty waves like these very soon. We've had a lot of questions regarding this as of late! We use Bed Head curling irons. I can't remember what kind of curling iron they used on my hair at West Salon and Spa, but it's more about the technique than the brand. Can't wait to explain more in detail in the post! Be on the lookout for it... we will be posting it very soon!! XO By the way, please scroll down the right hand side of our page, and click "Join this Site" to become a member. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Wow, thanks so much for the reply. I'll definitely wait for that post and watch this blog daily.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...